TOPIC: Application of the Pearson Correlation and Chi-Square Test
The chi-square test of independence is used to determine whether two or more samples of cases differ on a nominal level variable. A Pearson correlation is used to determine the relationship between two continuous variables. Both the chi-square test of independence and correlation are widely used in the analysis of public health data.
The purpose of this assignment is to practice calculating and interpreting the Pearson correlation coefficient and a chi-square test of independence. After analyzing the data, communicate the results in a PowerPoint presentation. Refer to the Using and Interpreting Statistics: A Practical Text for the Behavioral, Social, and Health Sciences textbook and instructional videos for assistance completing this assignment.
Use SPSS and the Topic 2 “Health Behavior Data Set” and complete the following:
- Conduct a Pearson correlation to determine the relationship between age and annual income.
- Conduct a chi-square test to determine the relationship between sex and smoking status.
- Export the SPSS output for the Pearson correlation and chi-square tests.
Create an 8-10 slide PowerPoint to discuss the findings for either the chi-square or correlation findings. For the presentation of your PowerPoint, use Loom to create a voice-over or a video. Refer to the topic resources for additional guidance on recording your presentation with Loom. Include an additional slide for the Loom link at the beginning, and an additional slide for references at the end.
Include the following:
- Explain why the statistical test is most appropriate for analyzing the data and whether the assumptions were met.
- What are the null and alternative hypotheses?
- What is the decision rule?
- What is the test statistic and p-value?
- How do you interpret the results? (What was done? What was found? What does it mean? What suggestions are there for the creation of a health promotion intervention?)
Submit the SPSS exported output and the PowerPoint to the dropbox.
APA style is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
Read Chapters 13 and 15in Using and Interpreting Statistics: A Practical Text for the Behavioral, Social, and Health Sciences.
Read “Correlation of Sleep Quality With Physical Activity and Memory Among Young Adults,” by Dubey, Tiwari, and Siddiqui, from Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy (2019).
Read “The Role of Community-Wide Wearing of Face Mask for Control of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Epidemic Due to SARS-CoV-2,” by Cheng et al., from Journal of Infection (2020).
Explore the “Adolescent and School Health” page located on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
Utilize topics from the Loom Help Center website for assistance on installing Loom software and software usage.
View “Conducting a Pearson Correlation and Chi-Square Test in SPSS,” by GCU Academics – Nursing (2020). Use this resource to assist you in completing the topic assignment.