IT HAS TO BE IN APA WITH CITATION AND AT LEAST 3 REFERENCE.
Many children face special issues that impact everyday life, whether it is within themselves, their families, or their environment. The PMHNP must be sensitive to these many issues that children and adolescents are faced with during important developmental years.
In this Discussion, you select a special population and analyze the psychological issues that the population faces. You also address the assessment and treatment needs of the population.
- Analyze psychological issues that may arise in children faced with special circumstances
- Evaluate assessment measures used with children faced with special circumstances
- Evaluate treatment options used with children faced with special circumstances
- Analyze cultural influences on treatments (D)
To Prepare for the Discussion:
- Review the Learning Resources.
- Select one of the following topics for the Discussion:
- Foster care
- Gender dysphoria
- Forensic issues
- Impact of terrorism on children
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts and cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking Submit!
By Day 3
- Write your selected disorder in the subject line of your Discussion post.
- Explain the psychological issues that may result from your topic.
- Describe the most effective assessment measure that could be used, and explain why you selected this.
- Explain the treatment options available for children and adolescents involved with your selected disorder.
- Explain how culture may influence treatment.
American Nurses Association. (2014). Psychiatric-mental health nursing: Scope and standards of practice (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Standards 11 “Communication” (page 75)
Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2014). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
Chapter 31, “Child Psychiatry” (pp. 1279–1323)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
“Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders”
“Other Conditions That May Be a Focus of Clinical Attention”
“Cultural Formulation”Note: You will access this book from the Walden Library databases.
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). (2011). Practice parameter for child and adolescent forensic evaluations. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 50(12), 1299-1312. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(11)00883-5/pdf
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). (2012c). Practice parameter on gay, lesbian, or bisexual sexual orientation, gender nonconformity, and gender discordance in children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 51(9), 957–974. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(12)00500-X/pdf
Lee, T., Fouras, G., & Brown, R. (2015). Practice parameter for the assessment and management of youth involved with the child welfare system. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 54(6), 502–517. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(15)00148-3/pdf