Identify a measurable patient-centered practice problem related to quality or safety and relevant to your practice setting that you will also focus on in your Capstone Paper and post a brief description of the problem and an explanation of why you selected it. Explain how the conversation you had with the key leader in your practice setting impacted your decision to address this particular practice problem. Be sure to support your practice problem with the literature that indicates the relevance of this problem for nursing practice. Provide evidence from your practice area and describe the data that is available.
You will not be collecting any data during the practice experience project; you will use data already available to you in your workplace or other practice setting. Think about the different kinds of data that is shared with you in your work area. For example, data may include patient satisfaction scores, medication error rates, fall, CLABSI or CAUTI rates. Analyzing the data available to you is how you will identify that a quality problem exists. Data identifies potential areas for improvement and monitors the effectiveness of any changes. It is important to obtain baseline data before beginning a quality improvement project and to analyze results during and at the end of a project.
Note: The practice problem must be related to patient outcomes. (Staffing cannot be your main practice problem for the completion of the Practice Experience Project and Capstone Paper.)
Note: If you use the same practice problem that was presented in the Week 1 Discussion on quality theories, keep in mind that you must be much more specific in this post and explain how it is relevant to your setting and nursing practice.
Summative Discussion Board
Review and reflect on the knowledge you have gained from this course. Based on your review and reflection, write at least three (3) paragraphs on the following:
- What were the most compelling topics learned in this course?
- How did participating in discussions help your understanding of the subject matter? Is anything still unclear that could be clarified?
- What approaches could have yielded additional valuable information?
- The main post should include at least one reference to research sources, and all sources should be cited using APA format.
Deliverable Length: Main post: 300 words (minimum)
Write 100-word Reflective Journal on how the attached clinical scenario enhanced your understanding of important communication techniques and what would be incorporated into your individual communication style to improve the nurse-patient/family relationship.
1. 100 word minimum reflection 2. Identifies how this scenario enhanced understanding of communication techniques 3. Addresses how these communication techniques will be incorporated into their own communication style to improve the nurse-patient/family relationship 4. Logical reflective flow which follows standard grammatical rules with minimal (1-2) misspellings
InstructionsYou are currently working at NCLEX Memorial Hospital in the Infectious Diseases Unit. Over the past few days, you have noticed an increase in patients admitted with a particular infectious disease. You believe that the ages of these patients play a critical role in the method used to treat the patients. You decide to speak to your manager, and together you work to use statistical analysis to look more closely at the ages of these patients. You do some research and put together a spreadsheet of the data that contains the following information: Client number Infection disease status Age of the patient You are to put together a PowerPoint presentation that explains the analysis of your findings which you will submit to your manager. The presentation should contain all components of your findings. For review, the components of the report should include: Brief overview of the scenario and variables in the data set Discussion, calculation, and interpretation of the mean, median, mode, range, standard deviation, and variance Discussion, construction, and interpretation of the 95% confidence interval Explanation of the full hypothesis test Conclusion The calculations should be performed in your spreadsheet that you will also submit to your manager. You can find additional information on what to add to your PowerPoint presentation in this Word document. Use the questions in the worksheet as your guide for the contents of your presentation. For your final deliverable, submit your PowerPoint presentation and the Excel workbook showing your work. Do NOT submit your Word document
Do a nursing care plan for the preoperative and postoperative care of a child with myelomeningocele.
Step 3: Report about treatment methods.
Write a 500 words to address the following points:
- Describe the treatment used and what occurs during treatment.
- Are there other treatment approaches that might also work? What are they?
- Is the treatment approach supported by research? Describe, if you can, the results of the research done on this treatment approach.
- Compare and contrast this therapy approach with at least one other therapy approach for this problem.
Step 1: Choose a mental disorder.
From this week’s reading, choose a mental disorder or problem you want to study further. For example, you could select depression, anxiety (such as test anxiety or social anxiety), substance abuse, or another issue.
Step 2: Conduct research on treatment options.
Explore the treatment options for the disorder you chose in Step 1. It is recommended that you conduct research through our Online Library (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. or use a scholarly internet search. Wikipedia is not allowed.
- Types of Psychological Treatment
- What Is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy?
- National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI)
complete the Information Technology Self-Assessment Tool. When completed review and determine at least three new goals you would like to achieve. Submit your completed form with a brief description of your experience and comfort level with the use of technology not only in your Program but as a practicing nurse.
Based on the readings related to the “Majority View” (what you believe the majority of people would do), “Feelings,” (do you feel it is right or wrong thing to do?) and “Conscience”, describe the ethical dilemma presented by these scenarios and explain which of these factors would influence how you would respond to the following scenarios:
- If you found something at a yard sale that was far more valuable than the posted price, would you let the seller know?
- Is it considered stealing to take pens from a bank? What about extra napkins from a fast-food restaurant?
- If someone tells an offensive joke, is it my responsibility to speak up about it?
- Is it ever ok to sneak a peek at your significant other’s email?
- My boss asked me to cover for him on his expense report by saying I was at a meal when I wasn’t . Should I do it?
Assignment Details –
For each of the scenarios above I’m looking for a 1 paragraph response to each scenario. Your response should include: 1- What you believe the majority of people would do. 2- Describe whether you feel it is right or wrong to do what is suggested in each scenario. 3- If there is an ethical dilemma, describe it and explain how it would influence your response.
Answer only two of the inquiries below.
2. A number of medical centers around the United States now offer “finders’ fees” to physicians for referring patients to researchers who are conducting trials of new drug therapies, the side effects of which are not yet known.
one researcher, for example, was offering physicians a $350 payment for each referred patient who enrolled in the research project. Many physicians accept the fees and make the referrals, apparently without suffering pangs of conscience. Are their actions ethical?
3. From 1940 to 1970, more than 4,000 radiation experiments were performed on tens of thousands of Americans, many of them poor and uneducated, without their informed consent. Examples of alleged incidents: children in a Massachusetts orphanage were fed radioisotopes; 829 pregnant Tennessee women were fed radioactive iron; patients in Rochester, New York were injected with plutonium; cancer patients in Cincinnati received heavy doses of gamma rays. Not all of these experiments can be attributed to researchers’ ignorance of the harmful effects of radiation; the main purpose of the experiments was to identify those effects rather than to cure the patients. Even so, the researchers do not seem to have thought they were committing a moral offense. Were they?
10. The consciences of the people in the following cases are confused. As a result, the people cannot decide whether the actions they are contemplating are morally right. Decide for them and present the rationale for your position.
d. An airline pilot goes for his regular medical checkup. The doctor discovers that he has developed a heart murmur. The pilot has only a month to go before he is eligible for retirement. The doctor knows this and wonders whether, under these unusual circumstances, she is justified in withholding the information about the pilot’s condition.
In a reflection of 450-600 words, explain how you see yourself fitting into the following IOM Future of Nursing recommendations:
- Recommendation 4: Increase the proportion of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80% by 2020.
- Recommendation 5: Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020.
- Recommendation 6: Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning.
Identify your options in the job market based on your educational level.
- How will increasing your level of education affect how you compete in the current job market?
- How will increasing your level of education affect your role in the future of nursing?
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.